fresh leaf lettuce (tender types like Romaine work best)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
about 1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
dash of liquid smoke (optional)
Wash and chop lettuce. In measuring cup or small bowl, combine water, sugar, and vinegar and mix well. Heat oil in frying pan and cook onions over medium high heat until they just begin to brown (this happens fast, so keep an eye on them!) When the onions have started to turn brown, add the liquid mixture and stir. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Add liquid smoke now, if desired.
Pour hot dressing over lettuce and toss well.
An alternate way to achieve the wilted lettuce salad texture is to cook your veggies and add them to your shredded lettuce while they’re still hot.
Hot Veggie Wilted Lettuce Salad
- 1 potato, 1 green pepper, and 1 onion, all sliced thin
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or chopped fine
- 1 head of tender leaf lettuce (Boston, Romaine, etc.), chopped or shredded
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, cut in wedges
- your favorite salad add-ins: croutons, scallions, sliced mushrooms, green peas, etc.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and saute garlic, onion, pepper, and potato together until the vegetable strips are soft. Add the cooked veggies to shredded lettuce and toss well, then add tomato wedges and other add-ins.
Return to Diet Food Recipes – Shape Up For Summer With Salad! Or get more healthy eating info here – Take The Mystery Out Of Diet Food Recipes